Cornish Best sold over 400,000 pints in the first quarter of 2015, with a significant proportion of sales outside the South West, as interest in the ale from pubs across the country began to take off.
The 3.5% ABV brew is a traditional, well balanced bitter designed to have a wide appeal. Crafted from British hops, Maris Otter barley and Cornish spring water, Cornish Best is an ale which bursts with rich malt, biscuit and a fruit character followed with a flint-dry finish.
Cornish Best’s performance mirrors the record sales that the Brewery has experienced across all of its own-brand beers during the first quarter of 2015, with sales up 23 per cent on last year.
Jeremy Mitchell, Director of Marketing & Communications at St Austell Brewery, said: “We are delighted with the interest we’ve had in Cornish Best since we launched it in January, especially how well it has been received nationally. Our own research shows that the Cornish brand is very strong with consumers right across the UK, and this matches with our company values of a traditional family brewer producing the finest quality ales.
“It’s a winning formula and we’re delighted that beer drinkers across the country are enjoying the taste of the very best of Cornwall.”
Image Caption – cornish03 Roger Ryman, Brewing Director and Head Brewer at St Austell Brewery (middle) with his brewing team
5 May 2015
Notes to editors:
About St Austell Brewery (www.staustellbrewery.co.uk)
- Founded in 1851, St Austell Brewery is known to be one of the oldest businesses in Cornwall
- It is one of only 30 independently family owned brewers in the UK
- St Austell Brewery won the Best Tenanted & Leased Pub Company (up to 200 sites) category at The Publican Awards 2015
- The company received the Heart of the Community Award at the British Beer & Pub Association Annual Dinner & Awards 2014
- St Austell Brewery was named Best Regional Brewer 2013 and 2014, and its flagship Tribute Ale (4.2% ABV) was named Best Regional Cask Ale 2012, 2013 and 2014, at the Publicans Choice Awards
- Its flagship Tribute Ale (4.2% ABV) was named Best Drink at the Food Reader Awards in 2013; voted the licensees’ Regional Cask Ale of the Year at the Publicans’ Suppliers Awards 2012 and is currently in the top five of the UK’s best-selling premium cask ales
- The company owns over 170 pubs and inns across the South West and was awarded Best Pub Menu (3-20 sites) in the Development Chef Awards, 2015
- It is the South West’s largest wholesale distributor of beer, ciders, wines, spirits and soft drinks, serving more than 3,000 free trade accounts, from pubs, clubs, restaurants, hotels and other licensed outlets in Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset and Bristol
- The company employs up to 1,000 people including part-time and seasonal staff
- The company brews five main cask ale beer brands: Tribute, Proper Job, Trelawny, Cornish Best, IPA and HSD. Korev Cornish Lager is also available on draught
- The bottled beer range consists of HSD, Tribute Ale, Proper Job, Admiral’s Ale, Trelawny, Clouded Yellow wheat beer and Korev Cornish lager
- The company markets its cask ales nationally
- The company also distributes a full range of national brands of beers and minerals and a full range of wines and spirits under the Walter Hicks label
- The company is a recognised centre of excellence for training, accredited by the British Institute of Innkeeping (BII), offering a wide range of courses to people who work in the licensed trade.
For further information about St Austell Brewery, please contact:
Jeremy Mitchell Tom Cowle
Director of Marketing & Communications DCA PR
St Austell Brewery PR on behalf of St Austell Brewery