Managed pub and bar group TCG is gearing up its fundraising for Cancer Research UK after a visit to the charity’s research centre in Manchester earlier this month. At the same time, the charity has commended TCG in its annual ‘Flame of Hope’ Awards, reserved for its most inspiring supporters.
TCG has pledged to donate at least £100,000 to Cancer Research UK this September, following a fundraising campaign across the company’s 69 pubs and bars that started in February last year. Such was the engagement with the charity from TCG’s teams and customers that the initial one-year drive was extended for a further six months.
Around 15 TCG employees from pubs, bars and head office visited the Manchester Cancer Research Centre, which is a world-leading centre employing more than 200 researchers. The TCG team learned about some of the ground-breaking work being carried out, all of which is funded by donations.
Sharon Gaskell, general manager at the Parrswood Hotel in Didsbury, said, “Seeing how Cancer Research UK uses the funds it receives from donations on research that could save lives in the future was really inspirational. It brought home to all of us how the fundraising we do in our pubs contributes to the work of Cancer Research UK, and I certainly came away feeling motivated to raise more money at the Parrswood.”
TCG’s pubs and bars have raised more than £80,000 for Cancer Research UK by holding music festivals, quiz nights and gala evenings, as well as simple bucket collections. Staff from several sites are taking part in the charity’s series of women-only ‘Race for Life’ events over the summer, as well as other sporting challenges; five team members from the Steam Passage in Camden are hoping to raise £2,500 in the London Triathlon in August.
TCG chief operating officer Nigel Wright said, “We’ve been hugely impressed by the fundraising efforts of our teams to raise money for Cancer Research UK, and by the amazing generosity of our customers. Receiving the Flame of Hope Award is a wonderful tribute to everyone at TCG who has supported the charity.
“We have the target of £100,000 firmly in our sights now and are confident of meeting or exceeding it, with the visit to the Manchester centre acting as a spur to all of us for the next three months of fundraising.”
Caption to attached image: the TCG team visiting Manchester Cancer Research Centre
Notes to editors:
Cancer Research UK
- Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research.
- Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
- Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated.
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years.
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK’s vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
- TCG operates a diverse estate of 69 managed pubs and bars nationwide.
- The business has a strong foothold in London, with high-profile sites such as the flagship Tattershall Castle floating bar and restaurant on the Embankment.
· The estate stretches across the country from Aberdeen to Newquay, and from Cardiff to Norwich. It includes late night bars, community and sports locals, student venues and quality town centre pubs, as well as a number of trading formats, such as the Henry’s Café Bar brand, Eerie Pubs and the King’s Feast food concept.
Issued on behalf of: TCG
By: ShielPorter Communications
Further information: Ros Shiel: firstname.lastname@example.org / 07841 694137
John Porter: email@example.com / 07734 054389